Job Posting: Staff Counsel
The Coastal Conservancy is hiring an attorney to serve as staff counsel.
Apply on the Cal Careers website here: https://www.jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=111240
The position is located in Oakland, CA.
Once a significant candidate pool is received, an internal cutoff period will be established, and only the most qualified candidates will be invited to the interview.
Please read the “How to Apply” section on each item required when replying to this job posting, if interested.
Applications received without ALL the required items, will NOT receive further consideration for this position. (Cover letter, state application, resume and a writing sample you have authored)
The Conservancy’s legal division consists of five attorneys, including the Chief Counsel. Conservancy attorneys work closely with staff on a variety of legal issues, mostly in the areas of land use and environmental permitting, contracts, real property interests, and operation of state and local government. Attorneys provide oral and written advice; conduct research; develop legal strategies; negotiate and draft contracts, memoranda of understanding, escrow instructions and other documents; review and edit staff recommendations for consistency with Division 21 of the Public Resources Code, funding sources, and CEQA; review property acquisition documents, including title reports, environmental assessments and purchase agreements; review CEQA documents, and track new legislation and case law.
- Office setting; Monday through Friday; prolonged periods of sitting (or standing, if preferred)
- Work on a computer up to 8 hours a day
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds
- Indoor work is common, although outdoor work may be necessary
- May require an employee to work in adversarial situations
- Attend and participate in high level meetings
- Multitask, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities in a cooperative manner
- Travel, with overnight stays necessary on occasion
More information on the role and how to apply can be found on the Cal Careers website here: https://www.jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=111240