Job Posting: Staff Counsel
Are you a lawyer with a passion for nature? This might be the job for you!
Job Description and Duties
The position is located in Oakland, CA.
**Once a significant candidate pool is received, an internal cutoff period will be established and interviews will be scheduled, and only the most qualified candidates will be invited to the interview**
Applications received without ALL the required items, will NOT receive further consideration for this position. (Cover letter, state application, resume and a writing sample you have authored)
Please read the “How to Apply” section on each item required when replying to this job posting, if interested.
Under the general direction of the Chief Counsel, and in coordination with four other Conservancy Attorneys, the Attorney will work with program and administrative staff on a variety of legal issues, mostly in the areas of land use and environmental permitting, contracts, real property interests, and operation of state and local government. The Attorney will provide oral and written legal advice to Conservancy staff; conduct research; identify legal strategies; negotiate and draft contracts, escrow instructions, and other documents; review and edit staff recommendations for consistency with Division 21 of the Public Resources Code, funding sources and CEQA; assess property acquisition documents, including title reports, environmental assessments, and purchase agreements; review CEQA documents; and track new legislation and case law.
The State Coastal Conservancy values diversity at all levels of the organization and is committed to fostering an environment in which employees from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We believe the diversity of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions to further our mission of protecting and enhancing California’s coast and ocean for present and future generations
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
- Office setting; Monday through Friday; prolonged periods of sitting (or standing, if preferred)
- Work on a computer up to 8 hours a day
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds
- Indoor work is common, although outdoor work may be necessary
- May require an employee to work in adversarial situations
- Attend and participate in high level meetings
- Multitask, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities in a cooperative manner
- Travel, with overnight stays necessary on occasion
More information, including instructions on how to apply, can be found here: https://www.jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=175730
- Coastal Conservancy Public Zoom Meeting – September 23, 2021Meeting Notice Douglas Bosco (Public Member), Chair Ann Notthoff (Public Member), Vice Chair Marce Gutiérrez-Graudiņš (Public Member) Joseph Alioto Jr. (Public Member) Wade Crowfoot, Secretary for Natural Resources; Bryan Cash (Designated) Stephen Padilla, Coastal Commission Chair; Alison Dettmer (Designated) Keely Bosler, Director, Department of Finance; Gayle Miller (Designated) Senate Representatives Benjamin Allen (District 26) Josh […] (Read more on Coastal Conservancy Public...)
- San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail Implementation Meeting #38 – September 10, 2021AGENDA September 10, 2021 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. VIRTUAL MEETING ZOOM Meeting Information: For live, online viewing of meeting, go to this address: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/96517077363?pwd=N1NVR0NUQklvSUJEUXErSElVNmdPdz09 Passcode: 869321 To participate remotely by telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 346 […] (Read more on San Francisco Bay...)
- Job Posting: Staff Services Analyst or Conservancy Program Development Analyst I“Love the California coast and the environment? This might be the job for you!” The position is located in Oakland, CA. Applications received without ALL the required items (state application std. 678, copy of diploma and/or transcripts, and cover letter), will NOT receive further consideration for this position. SCC will fill the vacancy at the Conservancy Program […] (Read more on Job Posting: Staff...)