Job Posting: Staff Counsel
Are you a lawyer with a passion for nature? This might be the job for you!
Job Description and Duties
The position is located in Oakland, CA.
**Once a significant candidate pool is received, an internal cutoff period will be established and interviews will be scheduled, and only the most qualified candidates will be invited to the interview**
Applications received without ALL the required items, will NOT receive further consideration for this position. (Cover letter, state application, resume and a writing sample you have authored)
Please read the “How to Apply” section on each item required when replying to this job posting, if interested.
Under the general direction of the Chief Counsel, and in coordination with four other Conservancy Attorneys, the Attorney will work with program and administrative staff on a variety of legal issues, mostly in the areas of land use and environmental permitting, contracts, real property interests, and operation of state and local government. The Attorney will provide oral and written legal advice to Conservancy staff; conduct research; identify legal strategies; negotiate and draft contracts, escrow instructions, and other documents; review and edit staff recommendations for consistency with Division 21 of the Public Resources Code, funding sources and CEQA; assess property acquisition documents, including title reports, environmental assessments, and purchase agreements; review CEQA documents; and track new legislation and case law.
The State Coastal Conservancy values diversity at all levels of the organization and is committed to fostering an environment in which employees from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We believe the diversity of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions to further our mission of protecting and enhancing California’s coast and ocean for present and future generations
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
- Office setting; Monday through Friday; prolonged periods of sitting (or standing, if preferred)
- Work on a computer up to 8 hours a day
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds
- Indoor work is common, although outdoor work may be necessary
- May require an employee to work in adversarial situations
- Attend and participate in high level meetings
- Multitask, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities in a cooperative manner
- Travel, with overnight stays necessary on occasion
More information, including instructions on how to apply, can be found here: https://www.jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=175730
- Grant Opportunity: FOREST HEALTH & WILDFIRE RESILIENCE PROGRAMIntent The Conservancy’s Forest Health and Wildfire Resilience Program will fund approximately $12 million in grants for ready-to-implement projects that reduce the risk of wildfire on public and protected lands. There are no maximum or minimum grant amounts for this funding. Eligible Applicants Public Agencies Nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status Federally-Recognized Indian Tribes Eligible […] (Read more on Grant Opportunity: FOREST...)
- Public Input Period: Updating the Project Selection CriteriaThe Coastal Conservancy is updating its project selection criteria and we are asking for public comments on the proposed new criteria. The draft proposed criteria are here. There will be a webinar to discuss the proposed criteria on April 16 at 10:00, to register, click here. If you would like to send in comments, you […] (Read more on Public Input Period:...)
- Job Posting: Accounting Officer“Love the California coast and the environment? This might be the job for you!” The position is located in Oakland, CA. Applications received without ALL the required items, will NOT receive further consideration for this position. A copy of your transcripts or diploma is required, if you are on the Accounting Officer (specialist) Eligibility list. This advertisement will be […] (Read more on Job Posting: Accounting...)