The Coastal Conservancy frequently hosts webinars on a number of topics related to coastal protection, restoration, public access and climate change. Our upcoming webinars and archived materials from past ones can be found below:
- 4/16/21 Updating the Project Selection Criteria The Coastal Conservancy is updating its project selection criteria and we are asking for public comments on the proposed new criteria. In this webinar we discuss the draft proposed criteria here.
- 2/3/21 Cutting the Green Tape This webinar with Kellyx Nelson and Jim Robins was about the Cutting Green Tape initiative and why it is needed to protect our natural resources. Ms. Nelson and Mr. Robins are two of the lead authors of the Cutting Green Tape: Regulatory Efficiencies for a Resilient Environment report (November 2020) and discuss the need for changes in our regulatory processes and present the recommendations in the report.
- 6/25/20 Greening Without Gentrification The Costal Conservancy hosted this webinar to share parks-related anti-displacement strategies that can be used to combat unintended impacts which parks and conservation projects may have, including increases in housing prices and the influx of new, wealthier residents in low-income communities.
- 1/30/20 Coastal Conservancy draft Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Guidelines
The State Coastal Conservancy hosted a webinar on January 30 at 10:00 to share our draft Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Guidelines and get feedback and comments from participants. The draft guidelines aim to articulate guiding principles about our agency’s role in promoting equity, inclusion and diversity and addressing environmental justice. The draft JEDI Guidelines can be found here. Further information on the process for developing the Conservancy’s draft JEDI Guidelines can be found on our website here.
- 1/28/20 An Overview of CEQA for Conservation Projects
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review process can feel overwhelming but it’s also vital for planning and implementing successful conservation projects. CEQA applies to almost every conservation project undertaken – be it acquisition, planning, restoration or construction. The Coastal Conservancy will be giving a free webinar on understanding CEQA for conservation projects on January 28 from 12-2 pm.
- 10/2/19 Webinar: Sea the Future, a new platform to compare sea level rise tools
The Conservancy hosted a webinar on Wednesday October 2nd from 12-1pm to hear about Sea the Future, a tool developed to help coastal planners and land managers identify the best sea level rise visualization tool for their projects. Watch the recording here.
- 8/20/19 Webinar: Frameworks and Considerations for Justice, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity at Work
José González, the founder of Latinos Outdoors, presented on landscape views on the environmental and conservation framework with justice and equity in mind. José will guide us to “see the big picture” on work evolving in the environmental field. The webinar will also ground us with 3 main areas of practice for future training and consideration– as “actionable work” for individuals and institutions including Implicit Bias and Fragility, Oppressive Dominant Work Cultures, and Inclusive Narratives. Watch the recording here.
- 8/1/19 Webinar: Youth Exploring Sea Level Rise Science
The Conservancy hosted a webinar on Thursday, August 1 from 12-1pm to hear from Carolyn Raider and Zoe Van Duivenbode on San Mateo County’s Youth Exploring Sea Level Rise Science (YESS) program.
- 6/12/19 Webinar: Cardiff Beach Living Shorelines Project
The Conservancy hosted a webinar on Wednesday, June 12 from 12-1pm to hear from Evyan Sloane on the Cardiff Beach Living Shoreline Project. Collaborators and stakeholders celebrated the multi-benefit natural infrastructure project in May 2019 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony. The project protects Highway 101 and provides ecological benefits to biodiversity and habitat, as well as enhanced coastal access options. The link above redirects to the Youtube video of the recording.
- 5/15/19 Webinar: New Jersey’s Blue Acres program and the human experience of buyouts
Please join us for a webinar on Wednesday, May 15th from 12-1pm to hear from Fawn McGee, Director of New Jersey’s Blue Acres buyout program, and Liz Koslov, Assistant Professor of Urban Planning and Environment and Sustainability at UCLA. Fawn will present on the Blue Acres program in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, and Liz will present on her research regarding the social impacts of climate change and relocation.
- 3/26/19 Webinar: Managed Retreat: Resilience at Surfer’s Point in Ventura, CA
Please join us for a webinar on Tuesday, March 26 from 12-1pm to hear from Paul Jenkin of Surfrider Foundation about the landmark Surfer’s Point managed retreat project including updates on resiliency in the face of recent storm activity. The Surfers’ Point Managed Shoreline Retreat project is one of the first managed retreat projects to […] (Read more on 3/26 Webinar: Managed…)
- 3/19/19 Webinar with Alex Ghenis: Disability Equity, Nature, and Climate Justice
Please join the Coastal Conservancy for a presentation on Tuesday, March 19 from 12-1 PM with Alex Ghenis from the World Institute on Disability. Please register here. The webinar will be recorded and posted on this page. In the past several decades, people with disabilities (PWDs) have fought for – and achieved – civil rights […]
- Webinar: The Stories We Don’t Tell About People of Color in the Outdoors
We hope you can join us for a webinar Thursday, February 28th from 12:00 p.m to 1:00 p.m. to hear about engaging people of color in the outdoors. Speaker Amanda E. Machado will share her personal story as a woman of color becoming involved in the environmentalist movement and facilitate a conversation about how to be more […]
- Webinar: Meaningful Community Engagement
The Coastal Conservancy is hosting a webinar on Thursday, February 21st 2019 from 1-2 pm exploring meaningful community engagement in project development. Three speakers working on projects across the state will discuss how they’ve engaged communities to develop projects that benefit local communities. The speakers will discuss how their community engagement approach was developed, what strategies […]
- Materials from Webinar on working on CAP projects with the Corps
The slides and recording from the October 10, 2018 webinar on the USACE Continuing Authorities Program can be found below: Slides: CAP Overview_CA Coastal Conservancy Oct 2018_Final Recording:
- Webinar recording: Making Visible Overlooked Stories of African Americans in California Dreams with Dr. Alison Rose Jefferson
Based on a chapter in Dr. Jefferson’s forthcoming book with the working title Leisure’s Race, Power and Place in Los Angeles and California Dreams in the Jim Crow Era to be published by the University of Nebraska Press, in this presentation she will briefly discuss the history and public memory of the African American experience […]
- Public Input Sought for Revised Coastal Access Project GuidelinesAre you interested in improved public access to California’s coast? We invite you to comment on the Coastal Conservancy’s revised Coastal Access Project Guidelines. Comments are due by November 5, 2021 and should be submitted to email@example.com. Based on comments received, the Standards will be revised before the Conservancy Board considers adoption at their December 2, 2021 meeting. […] (Read more on Public Input Sought...)
- Coastal Conservancy Public Zoom Meeting – September 23, 2021Meeting Notice Douglas Bosco (Public Member), Chair Ann Notthoff (Public Member), Vice Chair Marce Gutiérrez-Graudiņš (Public Member) Joseph Alioto Jr. (Public Member) Wade Crowfoot, Secretary for Natural Resources; Bryan Cash (Designated) Stephen Padilla, Coastal Commission Chair; Alison Dettmer (Designated) Keely Bosler, Director, Department of Finance; Gayle Miller (Designated) Senate Representatives Benjamin Allen (District 26) Josh […] (Read more on Coastal Conservancy Public...)
- San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail Implementation Meeting #38 – September 10, 2021AGENDA September 10, 2021 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. VIRTUAL MEETING ZOOM Meeting Information: For live, online viewing of meeting, go to this address: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/96517077363?pwd=N1NVR0NUQklvSUJEUXErSElVNmdPdz09 Passcode: 869321 To participate remotely by telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 346 […] (Read more on San Francisco Bay...)