About the Conservancy
Our vision is of a beautiful, restored, and accessible coast for current and future Californians. We act with others to protect and restore, and increase public access to, California’s coast, ocean, coastal watersheds and the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Coastal Conservancy is a state agency, established in 1976, to protect and improve natural lands and waterways, to help people get to and enjoy the outdoors, and to sustain local economies along California’s coast. The Conservancy is a non-regulatory agency that supports projects to protect coastal resources and increase opportunities for the public to enjoy the coast. The Conservancy implements statewide resource plans through its projects, including the California Water Action Plan, the Wildlife Action Plan, and many others. The Conservancy works along the entire length of California’s coast and within the watersheds of rivers and streams that extend inland from the coast. The Coastal Conservancy also works throughout the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area and the entire Santa Ana River watershed. A map of the Conservancy’s jurisdiction is posted here.
The Conservancy provides technical assistance and grant funding to local communities, nonprofit organizations, other government agencies, businesses, and private landowners to implement multi-benefit projects that:
- protect the natural and scenic beauty of the coast
- enhance wildlife habitat
- help the public to get to and enjoy beaches and parklands
- keep farmland and timberlands in production
- improve water quality
- revitalize working waterfronts
- prepare communities for the impacts of climate change
The Conservancy has played a critical role in shaping California’s coastal landscape as we know it today. Since its creation, the Conservancy has built hundreds of miles of trails and preserved hundreds of thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, coastal farmland, and scenic open space. Many of the most-loved scenic, natural, and recreational resources of the California coast and the San Francisco Bay Area have been protected by the work of the Conservancy and its many partners.
Conservancy Staff – All staff can be reached at 510-286-1015
Enabling Legislation – California Public Resources Code, Division 21
Accomplishments – Serving those interested in enjoying, improving, and protecting the natural resources of our coast
Strategic Plan – We develop a Strategic Plan that identifies specific goals to guide the Conservancy’s work
Regional & Statewide Plans – Plans and policies that implement priorities and are consistent with Coastal Conservancy objectives
Financial Reports – Annual financial reports on past year expenditures and agency funding
FAQ – What is the Coastal Conservancy? What does the Coastal Conservancy do?
- Webinar: Updating our Project Selection Criteria, June 21The Coastal Conservancy is updating its project selection criteria and we are asking for public comments on the proposed new criteria. The draft proposed criteria are here. There will be a webinar to discuss the proposed criteria on June 21 at 1:00 pm PST, to register, click here. If you would like to send […] (Read more on Webinar: Updating our...)
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS: Consultant to Assess Community Engagement & Benefits of Grant Program, “Advancing Nature-Based Adaptation Solutions in Marin County”Led by the CA State Coastal Conservancy and the Marin Community Foundation The California State Coastal Conservancy (SCC) is seeking qualifications of potential Consultants to assess the community engagement and benefits provided by a three-year grant program conducted by SCC in partnership with the Marin Community Foundation (MCF), “Advancing Nature-Based Adaptation Solutions in Marin County”. […] (Read more on REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS:...)
- San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail Implementation Meeting #37 – June 18, 2021AGENDA 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Location – VIRTUAL MEETING Please click this URL to join Zoom webinar: https://zoom.us/j/96312410067?pwd=MUNLaTE2OS9PR3RmVVVBQ0M4TUtvQT09 Passcode: 035802 Or join by phone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 253 215 8782 (Tacoma) […] (Read more on San Francisco Bay...)