About the Conservancy
Our vision is of a beautiful, restored, and accessible coast for current and future Californians. We act with others to protect and restore, and increase public access to, California’s coast, ocean, coastal watersheds and the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Coastal Conservancy is a state agency, established in 1976, to protect and improve natural lands and waterways, to help people get to and enjoy the outdoors, and to sustain local economies along California’s coast. The Conservancy is a non-regulatory agency that supports projects to protect coastal resources and increase opportunities for the public to enjoy the coast. The Conservancy implements statewide resource plans through its projects, including the California Water Action Plan, the Wildlife Action Plan, and many others. The Conservancy works along the entire length of California’s coast and within the watersheds of rivers and streams that extend inland from the coast. The Coastal Conservancy also works throughout the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area and the entire Santa Ana River watershed. A map of the Conservancy’s jurisdiction is posted here.
The Conservancy provides technical assistance and grant funding to local communities, nonprofit organizations, other government agencies, businesses, and private landowners to implement multi-benefit projects that:
- protect the natural and scenic beauty of the coast
- enhance wildlife habitat
- help the public to get to and enjoy beaches and parklands
- keep farmland and timberlands in production
- improve water quality
- revitalize working waterfronts
- prepare communities for the impacts of climate change
The Conservancy has played a critical role in shaping California’s coastal landscape as we know it today. Since its creation, the Conservancy has built hundreds of miles of trails and preserved hundreds of thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, coastal farmland, and scenic open space. Many of the most-loved scenic, natural, and recreational resources of the California coast and the San Francisco Bay Area have been protected by the work of the Conservancy and its many partners.
Conservancy Staff – All staff can be reached at 510-286-1015
Enabling Legislation – California Public Resources Code, Division 21
Accomplishments – Serving those interested in enjoying, improving, and protecting the natural resources of our coast
Strategic Plan – We develop a Strategic Plan that identifies specific goals to guide the Conservancy’s work
Regional & Statewide Plans – Plans and policies that implement priorities and are consistent with Coastal Conservancy objectives
Financial Reports – Annual financial reports on past year expenditures and agency funding
FAQ – What is the Coastal Conservancy? What does the Coastal Conservancy do?
- Coastal Conservancy Awards $7 Million for SF Bay and Coastal Restoration, Preservation, and Public Access21 Explore the Coast Grants Awarded to Fund Coastal Programming for Communities Facing Barriers to Access Oakland, CA – Today, the Board of the California State Coastal Conservancy awarded over $7 million to 15 projects to protect and restore the California coast and San Francisco Bay, and increase public access to these natural resources. Included […] (Read more on Coastal Conservancy Awards...)
- Call for Applications to Serve on the California State Coastal Conservancy’s Explore the Coast Advisory BoardApplication Due December 15, 2020 Background California’s ocean, coast, and beaches have long been recognized and used as spaces of joy, relaxation, and healing. The State Coastal Conservancy’s Explore the Coast (ETC) grant program seeks to provide coastal experiences for people and communities who face challenges or barriers to accessing or enjoying the coast […] (Read more on Call for Applications...)
- Job Posting: Accountant TraineeJob Description and Duties “Love the coast, the environment and have an Accounting background? This might be the job for you!” The position is located in Oakland, CA. Under the direct supervision of the Accounting Manager, the incumbent performs difficult technical and professional accounting work within the Accounting unit of the Conservancy. Record vouchers to […] (Read more on Job Posting: Accountant...)