About the Conservancy
Our vision is of a beautiful, restored, and accessible coast for current and future Californians. We act with others to protect and restore, and increase public access to, California’s coast, ocean, coastal watersheds and the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Coastal Conservancy is a state agency, established in 1976, to protect and improve natural lands and waterways, to help people get to and enjoy the outdoors, and to sustain local economies along California’s coast. The Conservancy is a non-regulatory agency that supports projects to protect coastal resources and increase opportunities for the public to enjoy the coast. The Conservancy implements statewide resource plans through its projects, including the California Water Action Plan, the Wildlife Action Plan, and many others. The Conservancy works along the entire length of California’s coast and within the watersheds of rivers and streams that extend inland from the coast. The Coastal Conservancy also works throughout the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area and the entire Santa Ana River watershed. A map of the Conservancy’s jurisdiction is posted here.
The Conservancy provides technical assistance and grant funding to local communities, nonprofit organizations, other government agencies, businesses, and private landowners to implement multi-benefit projects that:
- protect the natural and scenic beauty of the coast
- enhance wildlife habitat
- help the public to get to and enjoy beaches and parklands
- keep farmland and timberlands in production
- improve water quality
- revitalize working waterfronts
- prepare communities for the impacts of climate change
The Conservancy has played a critical role in shaping California’s coastal landscape as we know it today. Since its creation, the Conservancy has built hundreds of miles of trails and preserved hundreds of thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, coastal farmland, and scenic open space. Many of the most-loved scenic, natural, and recreational resources of the California coast and the San Francisco Bay Area have been protected by the work of the Conservancy and its many partners.
Conservancy Staff – All staff can be reached at 510-286-1015
Enabling Legislation – California Public Resources Code, Division 21
Accomplishments – Serving those interested in enjoying, improving, and protecting the natural resources of our coast
Strategic Plan – We develop a Strategic Plan that identifies specific goals to guide the Conservancy’s work
Regional & Statewide Plans – Plans and policies that implement priorities and are consistent with Coastal Conservancy objectives
Financial Reports – Annual financial reports on past year expenditures and agency funding
FAQ – What is the Coastal Conservancy? What does the Coastal Conservancy do?
- Grant Opportunity: FOREST HEALTH & WILDFIRE RESILIENCE PROGRAMIntent The Conservancy’s Forest Health and Wildfire Resilience Program will fund approximately $12 million in grants for ready-to-implement projects that reduce the risk of wildfire on public and protected lands. There are no maximum or minimum grant amounts for this funding. Eligible Applicants Public Agencies Nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status Federally-Recognized Indian Tribes Eligible […] (Read more on Grant Opportunity: FOREST...)
- Public Input Period: Updating the Project Selection CriteriaThe Coastal Conservancy is updating its project selection criteria and we are asking for public comments on the proposed new criteria. The draft proposed criteria are here. There will be a webinar to discuss the proposed criteria on April 16 at 10:00, to register, click here. If you would like to send in comments, you […] (Read more on Public Input Period:...)
- Job Posting: Accounting Officer“Love the California coast and the environment? This might be the job for you!” The position is located in Oakland, CA. Applications received without ALL the required items, will NOT receive further consideration for this position. A copy of your transcripts or diploma is required, if you are on the Accounting Officer (specialist) Eligibility list. This advertisement will be […] (Read more on Job Posting: Accounting...)