Coastal Conservancy Public Zoom Meeting – March 24, 2022
Douglas Bosco (Public Member), Chair
Ann Notthoff (Public Member), Vice Chair
Marce Gutiérrez-Graudiņš (Public Member)
Joseph Alioto Jr. (Public Member)
Wade Crowfoot, Secretary for Natural Resources; Bryan Cash (Designated)
Donne Brownsey, Coastal Commission Chair; Madeline Cavalieri (Designated)
Keely Bosler, Director, Department of Finance; Gayle Miller (Designated)
Benjamin Allen (District 26)
Josh Becker (District 13)
John Laird (District 17)
Mark Stone (District 29)
Robert Rivas (District 30)
Christopher Ward (District 78)
Amy Hutzel, Executive Officer
Amy Roach, General Counsel
DATE: March 24, 2022
TIME: 10:00 A.M.
Due to the ongoing State of Emergency and pursuant to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act and Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-1-22, this Conservancy meeting will be conducted by internet and teleconference, with no public physical location. Members of the public may join by internet with Zoom or dial into the teleconference with the following steps:
Join the meeting using Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89060862158?pwd=Y0dnSGpmQnMxWGJ2TjRWamRQaEQ4UT09
Or iPhone one-tap: US: +16699006833,,89060862158#,,,,*255046# or +12532158782,,89060862158#,,,,*255046#
Or Telephone: US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592
Webinar ID: 890 6086 2158
Members of the public can make comments during the meeting by using the “Raise Hand” function in Zoom at the appropriate time(s) in the meeting, or if joining by teleconference by pressing *9 to “Raise Hand” to be called on. Public comment will be taken during each agenda item and near the end of the meeting on non-agenda items. Additional information on ways to provide public comments on agenda items, including in advance by email and voicemail, is available on the Conservancy’s website on the Meetings & Notices tab here: https://scc.ca.gov/2020/04/22/participating-in-conservancy-meeting/
We have been experiencing problems opening Exhibits with the Safari browser. If this occurs, please try using a different browser. If you are unable to use a different browser and need access to an Exhibit, please email email@example.com.
1. ROLL CALL
2. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES of the Conservancy’s February 03, 2022 public meeting.
3. CONSENT ITEMS
A. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $530,000 to the Land Trust of Santa Cruz County to construct an all-access trail and improvements to associated visitor-serving amenities at Antonelli Pond in Santa Cruz County, and adoption of findings under the California Environmental Quality Act.
B. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $2,934,892 to San Mateo County to construct public access improvements and visitor-serving amenities at Tunitas Creek Beach in San Mateo County, of which $2,174,892 will derive from remaining unexpended funds from a Conservancy grant authorized on March 14, 2019 for the acquisition and planning of the project, and adoption of findings under the California Environmental Quality Act.
C. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $281,087 to California Trout, Inc. to augment the Conservancy’s grant of $196,123, authorized on June 18, 2020 for studies and designs, to prepare revised designs of the Sulphur Creek Fish Passage Improvement Project, Napa County to include bridge replacement.
4. EXECUTIVE OFFICER REPORT
A. Presentation on Pathways to 30X30
B. Presentation on State Agency Sea Level Rise Action Plan for California
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
5. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $320,000 to the Laguna de Santa Rosa Foundation to enhance habitat, protect and increase endangered plant species populations, and engage the local community in the restoration and conservation of five vernal pool properties on the Santa Rosa Plain, Sonoma County.
6. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $836,400 to Acterra for Climate Resilient Communities to implement the pilot phase of the East Palo Alto Rain Garden Project in the city of East Palo Alto, San Mateo County.
7. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $3,420,000 to Save the Redwoods League to acquire conservation easements on 3,862-acres of the Weger Ranch property within the Big River watershed in Mendocino County, for the purposes of natural resource and water quality protection, sustainable forest management and open space preservation.
8. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse funds received by the Conservancy from the Ocean Protection Council, the Wildlife Conservation Board California Riparian Habitat Conservation Program, and Save the Redwoods League to restore approximately 11.5 acres of riparian habitat on lower Prairie Creek as part of the Redwood National and State Park Visitor Center and Restoration Project at the former Orick Mill A site in Humboldt County, as follows: up to $5,281,709 to the Yurok Tribe and up to $1,320,427 to Caltrout, Inc.; and authorization to disburse up to $794,000 in funds received by the Conservancy from the Wildlife Conservation Board Public Access Program to Save the Redwoods League to construct initial public access improvements and visitor amenities for the Redwood National and State Park Visitor Center and Restoration Project.
9. Consideration and possible authorization to disburse up to $500,000 to Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District to acquire 644-acres of the Johnston Ranch property for natural resource protection and restoration, open space, compatible agricultural preservation, and public access, located adjacent to the City of Half Moon Bay in San Mateo County.
10. Consideration and possible authorization to (1) disburse up to $500,000 to hire contractors to develop and implement participation from tribal communities, community groups, and residents of the greater Los Angeles region to assist in planning the Ballona Wetlands Restoration project; and (2) disburse up to $53,000 to the Friends of Ballona Wetlands to restore disturbed riparian habitat at the Ballona Wetlands Ecological Reserve in Los Angeles County.
- Addendum: Ballona Wetlands Restoration Project
11. PUBLIC COMMENTS ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS
12. CONSERVANCY MEMBER COMMENTS
13. CLOSED SESSION
A. To confer regarding Grassroots Coalition, et al. v. California State Coastal Conservancy, et al., Los Angeles County Superior Court, Case No. 21STCP02237. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(A).
B. To confer regarding Defend Ballona Wetlands, et al. v. California State Coastal Conservancy, et al., Los Angeles County Superior Court, Case No. 20STCV29911. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(A).
C. To confer regarding Pappas, et al. v. State Coastal Conservancy, et al., Santa Barbara County Superior Court, Case No. 1417388. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(A).
D. To confer regarding Lebolt v. City and County of San Francisco, et al., San Francisco County Superior Court Case No. CGC-19-581761. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(A).
E. To confer regarding City of Trinidad v. Tsurai Ancestral Society, et al., Humboldt County Superior Court Case No. DR180684. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(A).
F. To confer regarding Brightview Landscape Development, Inc. v. From Lot to Spot, Inc., et al., Los Angeles County Superior Court, Case No. 21STCV39415. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(A).
Please note: If a closed session is needed, the closed session of the meeting will be conducted on a separate conference line, after announcement of the convening of a closed session on the weblink identified above. The board will reconvene on the weblink provided above to make any reports, provide any documentation, and make any other disclosures required by Section 11125.2 of the Government Code.
Note: Agenda items may be taken out of sequence at the discretion of the Conservancy. At any time during the meeting, but prior to the adjournment of the open session of the meeting, the Conservancy may recess or adjourn to closed session to consider personnel matters, prices and terms of real estate transactions, and possible and pending litigation. Session will be closed to the public pursuant to attorney-client privilege and statutory authorization under Government Code Sections 11126(a), (c) (7), and (e).
Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this public meeting should contact Taylor Samuelson no later than five days prior to meeting.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to Taylor Samuelson at
(510) 286-4182 or Taylor.Samuelson@scc.ca.gov or at the Conservancy:
1515 Clay Street, 10th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612
- Notice of Intention to amend the Conflict of Interest Code of the State Coastal ConservancyThe Coastal Conservancy proposes to amend its conflict of interest code to include employee positions that involve the making or participation in the making of decisions that may foreseeably have a material effect on any financial interest, as set forth in subdivision (a) of section 87302 of the Government Code. The amendment carries out the […] (Read more on Notice of Intention...)
- Press Release: State Coastal Conservancy Awards $84 Million for Climate Resilience, Public Access, Habitat Restoration, and Wildfire ResilienceLast week, the Board of the State Coastal Conservancy authorized funding totaling $84 million for projects to protect and restore coastal lands, increase coastal resilience to climate change, improve public access to the coast, and reduce the impact of wildfire on coastal lands. Grants awarded include: $5,552,800 to the Redwood Community Action Agency to restore 350 […] (Read more on Press Release: State...)
- San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail Implementation Meeting #41 – September 29, 2023, 10am – 12pmAGENDA September 29, 2023 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. HYBRID MEETING Zoom Meeting Information: Please join us on Zoom at this link: https://scc-ca-gov.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYkf-GtrDgjGtwqmo305QFC6HGMco5kob-0 Physical Meeting Location: Claremont Room, 375 Beale Street, San Francisco CA 94105 If you are planning to attend in person, please email Ben.firstname.lastname@example.org in advance so we know to expect you. We […] (Read more on San Francisco Bay...)